Tuesday, December 05, 2006

And a roundup of today’s news stories . . .

From the Daily Mail we learn that though gas companies have benefited from a drop in gas prices, the consumer won’t see a drop in their bills for ages, if ever. The gas companies claim that as they buy the gas in advance we won’t benefit from low prices for a while. But I wouldn’t advise you to hold your breath. Because they have been given permission by energy regulator Ofgem to spend more than £5billion over the next five years on gas pipelines and the electricity grid. So this will give them ammunition to continue to charge us a fortune. Last year we had an £800 fuel bill – and there’s only 2 of us, and we work in the day. I tell you I feel sorry for pensioners.

There’s a story in the Times saying that in order to stop students cheating by using their mobile phones, schools have been told to invest in phone jamming technology. Why in God’s green earth are they allowed to have phones in exams anyway? Surely it is more sensible to forbid them from taking any technology into the exam room? Later on in the story it does briefly visit this option but all the story says is ‘The banning of mobile phones in exam halls tends not to be effective.’ My question is why on earth not? Forbid them to bring in phones and search them. When I suggested the searching bit to a colleague she said that that couldn’t be done and she didn’t look too pleased at the suggestion. I imagine she was thinking of some ‘rights’ attributable to the kids. I say sod the rights and search them – let them know that cheating is not acceptable.

The BBC website mentions that youngster Alex Tew who came up with that website where he sold pixels for a $1 each to advertisers and made $1million in 4 months. He’s sensibly turned down job offers and is doing his own thing. I am praying each day for a similarly ingenious idea!

In the Independent a ‘senior cardinal in the Catholic Church’ has called for priests to be allowed to marry. He correctly notes that;

‘Celibacy is a discipline, not a dogma of the Church. Certainly, the majority of the apostles were married. In this modern age, the Church must observe these things, it has to advance with history."

Catholics, like other religious groups have a perverse way of adding requirements to the Christian faith that have nothing to do with what God has asked us to do, celibacy being one of these things (along with idolatry, forbidding contraception, diluting the kingship of Christ by ‘praying’ to others among many other things). I cannot understand for the life of me why they wish to take something as simple and beautiful as the gospel and edit it so much with the end result being the misery of millions. I hope this guy gets some support. Unfortunately it seems he was slapped down a few days later as he backtracked and softened his statement. Ho hum, another progressive idea bites the dust in the Vatican!

And finally there’s this gem from the Mirror. Some woman (who should be forbidden from reproducing) tells the story of how she was so terrified giving birth would ruin her sex life with her partner and would ruin her body that she insisted on having a C-section. She intends to have many more kids and wants them all by C-section. Here are a few gems from this imbecile:

‘. . .it wasn't the pain that bothered me. The idea of a baby forcing its way out, stretching my most intimate parts, was repulsive.’

"I'm worried that having a baby will stop me enjoying sex," I'd heard about women whose sex life had been unsatisfactory after childbirth. What if that happened to me?'

Then after she forced the authorities to give her a C-section nature steps in but this woman won’t have any of it:

‘But then five days before I was due my waters broke. I was out shopping with my mum when I felt a trickle of fluid between my legs. I immediately panicked. What if I had to give birth naturally?’

Horrors, dear reader, what a terrible thing to happen, to give birth naturally! Now I hate pain as much as the next woman, and when my time comes would welcome an epidural, oxygen, water birth, spliff, bottle of gin – anything to take the pain away (I was joking about the last 2 by the way). But come on, many women are able to have fulfilling sex lives and good bodies after giving birth and that should definitely not be your main reason for putting yourself and your kid at the added risk of a surgical birth.

Some more gems:

‘I took the decision not to breastfeed him because I feel my boobs are also a private part of me and I don't want a baby hanging off them.’ So the kid gets an inferior form of sustenance and the world accepts some more plastic wrappers. Lovely.

‘Having a Caesarean was the right thing for me. I probably would have ended up resenting my baby and blaming him for making me go through childbirth if I'd been forced into it.’
Is she serious? Resent your kid because it was born naturally? She goes on:

‘I believe all women should be able to elect for a Caesarean if they wish to. Ultimately, a natural birth could have ruined my relationship with Simon and having more children wouldn't have been an option.’

She is incredibly immature and so is her partner for supporting this hysteria.

But I have noticed a lot of bizarre attitudes since I came back to the UK to live when it comes to pregnancy. Two work colleagues dieted while pregnant because they didn’t want to get fat. Get fat! When you are carrying a child, you’ll gain weight, the kid weights something you know. It’s dreadful to restrict your intake when you’re carrying another life. Looking skinny vs healthy baby? Mmmm. You’d think healthy baby would win wouldn’t you? Another woman I knew, who’s husband was in leadership at my church at the time gave a 15 minute speech one evening about how disgusting breast feeding was and how her breasts were just for her husband’s sexual pleasure. She went on to recklessly state that she didn’t know how any woman could perform such a disgusting task – in a room of women 4 of which I personally knew had breast fed all their kids. I nearly throttled her.

One thing I’ve noticed and I hope it doesn’t become de rigueur in the third world, is the tendency for western women to talk rubbish like this and for it to be acceptable, even Christian women.

Your body will change with childbirth but millions of women have managed and all the research has already been done; breast feeding your baby is best for them. And as a Christian, saying it is disgusting is tantamount to saying God got the design wrong is – after all he made us. Get a grip western women – there’s more to life than how you look.

No comments: