Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Writing is a job

I am a writer.

Well, I say I am a writer, but the truth is I am largely a writing avoider. The avoiding takes many guises the most common being ‘research.’ But I read or rather re-read something today. It was a piece of pithy advice from Steven King from his book ‘On Writing.’ He basically says that if you are serious you will spend 4-6 hours a day reading and writing and that he writes (I believe) at least 1,000 words a day.

Now I work full time – my writing has to be done outside of that time but that cannot change without me quitting and I can’t afford to. So I have to work with what time I do have – Mr. King wrote Carrie while he was working full time.

So I thank him for a swift kick up the behind of a reminder. If you are having the same difficulty of procrastinating – from anything you really want to do – now is the time to get on with it, within whatever parameters you are bound by. And be creative – you may not be as bound as you think you are. All the best.

No comments: